March 10, 2006

 

just a reminder


If I'm Gerry McNamara, I'm getting on the floor each night with one thought in mind: "They don't believe I can do this." Then, I'm taking that thought and using it to rip apart whoever happens to be attempting to stop me from running my team all the way to the Big East Tournament title.

Here's a reminder, in case any of us have lost our momentum after the UConn game, straight out of the pages of Sports Illustrated's Big East players' poll:


• MOST OVERRATED PLAYER:

Gerry McNamara, SYRACUSE .... 27%

"People said he'd be the conference player of the year, but he hasn't shown me anything."



In a way, it helps Gerry (and all of Syracuse) that the poll was done anonymously. That way, G-Mac can play every Big East game as if he's playing against the dope who had the nerve to call him out. Thursday afternoon it was Jihad Muhammed who was quoted in a national magazine underestimating him. Yesterday, it was Marcus Williams who had told everyone he didn't deserve any recognition. Tonight, my guess is that Gerry will convince himself that Ashanti Cook was the one foolish enough to issue such a challenge.

This team should be on a mission. Tonight they have the chance to make another powerful statement, especially since the basketball world is expecting the Orange to quit while they're ahead. If these Orangemen have enough gas to get there I'm hoping they win that second Big East Trophy in two years, just so Gerry Mac can wave it in the faces of everyone who doubted him... Right before he knocks 'em in the mouth with that NCAA Championship Ring, of course.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?